Monday, March 13, 2006

Tom Fox

I haven't been following the situation in Iraq as much as I used to, but as you may know Tom Fox, who was taken hostage about three months ago, was found dead in Baghdad. He was a Christian and Quaker who went to Iraq with the Christian Peacemaker teams. The below is via Electronic Iraq.

Here is Tom Fox's blog, Waiting in the Light.

"We Mourn the Loss of Tom Fox"

Blog Excerpts Part 1

Blog Excerpts Part 2

A quote from Mr. Fox:

When I allow myself to become angry I disconnect from God and connect with the evil force that empowers fighting. When I allow myself to become fearful I disconnect from God and connect with the evil force that encourages flight. I take Gandhi and Jesus at their word - if I am not one with God then I am one with Satan. I don't think Gandhi would use that word but Jesus certainly did, on numerous occasions. The French theologian Rene Girard has a very powerful vision of Satan that speaks to me: 'Satan sustains himself as a parasite on what God creates by imitating God in a manner that is jealous, grotesque, perverse and as contrary as possible to the loving and obedient imitation of Jesus.'
Christian Peacemaker Teams

No comments: