Tuesday, January 17, 2006

Frustration and Bible Translation

This whole Biblical Interpretation thing is tough work. I like to do some research before I present my theological observations to the world. Sometimes when studying Biblical passages I get the feeling for whatever reason that a verse may not have been translated correctly. I don't know Greek or Hebrew, but I do have what I think is some really good, free interlinear Biblical software. It's from some outfit called Scripture 4All. It hasn't provided me with a lot of answers, just a lot more questions, which isn't a bad thing.

So here's the situation. I'm doing research regarding the phrase "foundation of the world" and I discover that the Greek word translated "foundation" could be translated as "disruption", "casting down" or "overthrow. This isn't the first time Biblical translation has troubled me. I'm referencing the translations of the phrase "wrath of God". The Girardian Lectionary has a page regarding the mistranslation of the "Wrath of God" in Romans. I just wish I had studied Greek in college, it would be a whole lot easier. Has anybody else noticed these translation problems? It seems everytime I pull up my interlinear software I find more controversy and problems.

1 comment:

Cristian Răducan said...

Have you found anything new on this?
Here is a paper that might interest you:
https://www.academia.edu/38319715/On_The_Meaning_Of_Foundation_of_the_World.pdf