Thursday, December 29, 2005

Emerging Church

I really don't know what to make of this so-called emerging church thing. They seem to be groups of people who think they're might be something wrong with traditional conservative evangelicalism, but can't really figure out exactly what it is. Brian McLaren seems to be some sort of emerging church luminary, but it's going to be hard to take anything he says seriously if he hasn't read or studied anything by Rene Girard. I mean come on, I think this is a serious lapse. I don't mean this in an angry way, I just can't believe it. It's difficult work, hard to get started, but if you want a theological basis for your emerging church movement, which really exposes the theological mistakes of conservative evangelicalism, I think you need to study your Girard. Penal substitutionary atonement is radically wrong and it must be attacked and exposed for what it is. Girard can definitely help us to do this. Besides being difficult to catch on to, I can't figure out why Girard isn't more influential in the emergent church movement.

No comments: